Butternut squash is probably my favorite Fall vegetable, it is so versatile and can be added to lots of dishes. The chewiness of the orecchiette pasta and kale goes great with the softness of a cooked squash, and the Parmesan cheese on top really completes the dish. It makes it a perfect meal for a cool Autumn day!
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
1 lb | ground turkey
2 lb | butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 | shallot, diced
4 | pieces of kale, de-stemmed
1 lb | orecchiette
8 oz | mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp | olive oil
2 tsp | basil, dried
2 tsp| Italian seasoning
2 tbsp | soy sauce or coconut aminos
2 tbsp | water or chicken broth
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl toss the squash in 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle on some salt, and 1 tsp of Italian seasoning. Lay out on the baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes, flipping the squash midway through.
- Now is a good time to start boiling the water for the pasta. Cook according to the directions on the package. Save the pot to mix all the ingredients together later on!
- In a large skillet add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, and the ground turkey. When turkey is brown on the outside, add the kale, shallot and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms and kale are tender.
- Now add in the basil, 1 tsp of Italian seasoning, soy sauce and the water or chicken broth. Cook for another 5 minutes or so to allow flavors to meld.
- Now the turkey mixture and butternut squash to the pot with the pasta Taste test and add salt as needed. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese or as is!