This creamy shrimp recipe is done using almond milk instead of regular milk. This makes it mostly dairy free, as dairy can be a big trigger for a lot of people. There is still Parmesan cheese in it, but Parmesan cheese is known for being low in lactose and many people with acid reflux disease can eat it with no problems.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 mintutes
1 lb | pasta
1 lb | shrimp, de-veined and tails removed (I used frozen cooked shrimp)
8 oz | mushrooms, sliced
1 | shallot, diced
3 cups | spinach, rinsed and dried
1/2 cup | Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 cup | chicken broth
1/2 cup | almond milk, unsweetened
1 tbsp | cornstarch
1 tbsp | basil
1 tsp | Italian seasoning
1 tsp | dried parsley
Zest from one lemon
Salt to taste
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook pasta as the instructions on the container say.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the shrimp a drizzle of olive oil and 1/2 tbsp of basil. Flip the shrimp until both sides have browned and the shrimp is heated through. Then set the shrimp to the side.
- Using the same skillet with the shrimp removed, add the shallot and mushrooms and cook until the onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Then add in the chicken broth, lemon zest, basil, parsley and Italian seasoning. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup of the almond milk to the the dish and stir, bring to a simmer. With the other 1/4 of the almond milk add the 1 tbsp of cornstarch and whisk together.
- Now add the spinach, and the rest of the almond milk, cook until the spinach has wilted. Then add the Parmesan cheese and shrimp and cook until the cheese is completely melted. Add salt to taste.
- Combine the shrimp sauce with the pasta and serve hot!