Fritters are generally associated with things being fried, but these baked ones are delicious! I won’t lie they aren’t the pretties things, and they kind of look like colored clay when they cook, but they taste great!
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
2 cups | frozen corn, seared and cooled down (to learn how to sear frozen corn, look at step 2 on this recipe)
1 | carrot, diced very small
1 | shallot, diced
2 | eggs
3/4 cup | all-purpose flour
2 tbsp | cornstarch
3/4 cup | cold water
2 tbsp | cilantro, chopped (optional)
1 1/2 tsp | coriander powder
1/4 tsp | tumeric
1/4 tsp | asafetida
1 tsp | salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl combine all the dry ingredients together, this includes the flour, cornstarch and seasonings. In a separate large bowl combine the eggs, veggies, corn, cilantro and water until well mixed. Batter should be pretty thin.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and using a small ladle, spoon batter onto the paper. The batter should not be so thin it runs, but should be thin enough that it is flat.
- Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes, then remove the baking sheet, and flip the corn cakes over, and bake for another 6-7 minutes.
- Serve hot as an appetizer or side dish!