This is a pretty basic omelet recipe, that can easily be built on! When I throw spinach and mushrooms in the pan, you could really add any vegetables you desire. Also the cheese can be substituted for cheddar or Parmesan if you prefer those.
Yield: 1 serving
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
3 | large eggs
1 cup | spinach, torn or baby spinach
2 oz | canned mushrooms (can be substituted for fresh, I just had canned on hand)
1 oz | feta cheese
1/8 tsp | dried basil
Salt to taste
Drizzle of olive oil
- Add a drizzle of oil to to a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- While the skillet is heating up toss in the spinach and mushrooms. While the spinach and mushrooms are cooking, in a separate bowl crack the 3 eggs and add in the basil and whisk for a minute or so. The more they are whisked the more air will be in the omelet and the fluffier it will be.
- Once the spinach is wilted make sure the spinach mushroom mixture is spread out throughout the pan and add the egg over top of the mixture.
- Leave the omelet to cook for 3-4 minutes, when it is just the top layer that is uncooked, you can push back the sides and have the runny layer fill in the gaps.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes than add the cheese to one half of the omelet. In order to flip the omelet in half run a spatula around the edges of the side you intend to fold, and then fold the omelet in half.
- Cook on each side for another 1-2 minutes, and then serve!