This recipe takes a while but it’s worth it! I don’t really like spaghetti squash with just sauce, so I wanted to try something a little different and it worked out really well! This is a great date night, or weeknight recipe, when you have lots of time and want to make something special and delicious! If you don’t have any tempeh or don’t like tempeh you can easily substitute chicken instead.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
1 | small spaghetti squash (about 1.5-2 lbs)
7 oz | tempeh, sliced into thin strips
2 | large carrots, cut julienne style
1 1/2 cup | green beans, chopped into inch pieces
2 | eggs
3 tbsp | dry roasted almonds, loosely chopped
1 tbsp | sesame oil
1 tbsp | extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp | soy sauce
Cilantro to garnish
Sesame seeds to garnish
1/3 cup | soy sauce
3 tbsp | fish sauce
3 tbsp | brown sugar
1 tbsp | sesame oil
1 tbsp | fresh ginger, grated
Zest from 2 limes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place face down on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes.
- When the squash is done, use a fork to remove it from the shell and set aside until ready to use.
- While the squash is cooking start making the sauce. Combine all the ingredients that are under sauce, into a small saucepan and mix well until sugar is dissolved. Then heat the pan over a medium heat, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the sauce becomes thicker, then set aside.
- Now time to lightly fry the tempeh. In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tbsp of sesame oil, and 1 tbsp of olive oil, along with 1 tbsp of soy sauce. Add the tempeh cooking on each side for about 4 minutes. It should be getting slightly brown on each side. Once the tempeh is cooked remove from the pan.
- Using the same skillet start sautéing the vegetables. Add the carrots and green beans and cook until they begin to soften, about 8-10 minutes. Push the veggies to one side, and then add the eggs to the other side and scramble them
- Now add the tempeh back to the pan and the shredded spaghetti squash and sauce. Mix well, but carefully so that you don’t break up the tempeh too much.
- Add salt to taste if needed and garnish with the almonds, sesame seeds and cilantro!