Dairy-free Swedish Meatballs
Did you know Swedish Meatballs are actually Turkish? I didn’t until recently! My husband loves this dish, it’s a great comfort food dish for any day of the week! The coconut cream really gives it the desired thickness and creaminess, and you can’t taste the coconut!
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
1 lb | ground turkey
1 | large egg
½ cup | breadcrumbs
1 tbsp | parsley, minced
½ tsp | asafetida
1 tsp | soy sauce or coconut aminos
¼ tsp | tsp oregano
¼ tsp | salt
8 oz | mushrooms , sliced
1 | shallot, diced
2 cups | chicken or beef broth
Cream from one can of coconut milk
2 tbsp | vegan butter
½ tbsp | soy sauce or coconut aminos
2 tbsp | cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix all the ingredients under the meatball section together and form 12-15 meatballs. Put meatballs on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and cook for 17-20 minutes, or until 155°F in the center, and they are browned on top.
- Take ½ cup of the broth a mix it in a small bowl with the cornstarch and set aside for now.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt the 2 tbsp of vegan butter. Once butter is melted add the mushrooms and shallot to the skillet until mushrooms are tender and onions are translucent.
- Now add all of the broth to the pan, including the ½ cup you mixed with cornstarch, soy sauce, and coconut cream and to a simmer.
- Add the meatballs to the simmering broth and coconut cream an simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve over some egg noodles, and enjoy!