This Fall meal is full of healthy and delicious ingredients! Normally my husband shys away from meals without meat in them, but even he really enjoyed this dinner! The dressing really brings it all together for a savory dish.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
2 | medium sweet potatoes, cubed
1 | bunch of kale, destemed and chopped
8 oz | mushrooms, sliced
1 | shallot, diced
6 tbsp | pepitas, roasted*
3 | large carrots, peeled and chopped into thick coins, about 1 inch and then in half
1 1/2 tbsp | olive oil
1 tbsp | za’atar
1/2 tsp | asafetida
1 tsp | sesame seeds
1 1/2 cups | quinoa
Cilantro as garnish (optional)
1 tbsp | white miso paste
2 tsp | tahini
1 tbsp | soy sauce or coconut aminos
1 tbsp | maple syrup
1/4 tsp | ground ginger
1 tbsp | extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tbsp| water
1 tsp | sesame seeds
Zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl add the carrots, sweet potato, 3/4 tbsp za’atar, 1/2 tsp asafetida, 1 tbsp of olive oil and a tbsp of salt and mix together. Add the carrots and sweet potato to a baking sheet layered with foil. Cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Start the quinoa cooking as directed on the package. Make sure to salt when it is done cooking.
- While the carrots and sweet potato are cooking, start cooking the mushrooms. In a skillet add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, the diced shallot and the sliced mushrooms. After they have cooked for a couple of minutes, add the 1 tsp of sesame seeds and 1/4 tbsp of za’atar seasoning. Cook until mushrooms are tender, you may need to add more olive oil. Salt to taste.
- Next combine all the ingredients under dressing together, adding the water 1 tbsp at a time until it is the consistency you like.
- Now for the final touches before you combine the bowl, take the chopped kale and message it for a couple of minutes. This makes the kale less bitter, and taste great!
- Once the vegetables are roasted and quinoa is done prepare the bowl. Start with the quinoa on the bottom, assemble the vegetables and mushrooms on top, sprinkle the pepitas on top, garnish with cilantro if desired and add a tablespoon of the dressing. Don’t add to much dressing as it is pretty salty, I would suggest tasting it and then adding more as needed. Once the bowl is prepared, enjoy!
*I have found that raw nuts and seeds exasperate my symptoms, so I always make sure they are roasted.